Tuesday 12 March 2024

I'm reviewing Metropolitain ...

... by Andrew Martin.  Read on to find out what I thought ...

This book is subtitled, ‘An Ode to the Paris Metro’, which could not be a more fitting caption for this book.
The blurb tells the reader that Andrew Martin has been described as the ‘laureate of railways.’  Apparently, he has written several books about railways, all of which have escaped my notice until now.
Published in 2023, I first noticed this book because of an article in a newspaper.  It sounded interesting – and unlike another reviewer who awarded only one star because there were no pictures – I was not disappointed with my purchase.  The book came with me to France when I last visited and was read as I overlooked the Loire.  A Paris view would have been perfect, but unfortunately, the city was not on my list of destinations for that trip.
The book looks at the history, creation and development of Metro.  I was fascinated to discover the origins of the iconic Metro Station entrances, with their green railings and stylised flower motifs that I have always thought of as beautifully French.  It was also a surprise to find that the twin lights of the entrances have been compared to demonic ‘dragons’ eyes’ —  definitely not how I’ve ever thought of that ironwork lighting!
As a child, I remember being mesmerised by the London Underground every time we visited.  We always took the tube.  As an adult working in the city, I always travelled on the underground, but by then, it had lost its fascination.  The carriages were always crowded and uncomfortable, the intricacies of the tiled patterns signifying my stop to get off rather than an industrial piece of art to be noticed or appreciated.
Spring forward a few years, and during my time in Paris, I rediscovered my childish obsession with travelling by train underground.  On my journeys across the city then and since, I have always marvelled at the architecture, which uses Art Deco motifs to define the unmistakable style of the Metro.
Photo
courtesy of Pixabay
The book is not only a detailed history but also an appreciation of the art, style, and cultural importance of this form of transport in one of my favourite cities.
  The narrative flows easily across the pages, and the technical input is in clear, uncomplicated language.  Naturally, as I was reading the book, I had my map of the city beside me and often stopped to sort through my photographs to remind myself of what I might find at ground level at many of the stations mentioned.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  The wit, clear descriptions, and literary links made it a complete story — a story told with the skill and imagery of a natural poet.


If you enjoyed this post you might also be interested in my reviews of other books, such as :  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment