Tuesday 18 April 2023

I am honoured to be able to announce ...

… that I am one of the authors taking part in the Shetland Noir 2023 literary festival.  Read on for more info …

A brief conversation with a fellow writer whilst in Torquay last year included some scant details about a literary festival in Scotland.  It sounded intriguing and I said I was interested.  And now, almost 12 months later, I am very pleased to be able to say that, not only will I be there, but, I am part of a panel of authors discussing and answering questions about cosy crime.
It is an outcome I never really expected to come to fruition.  As the names of the headline authors who are attending were gradually released, I became convinced that my name – well, it does begin with W – had dropped off the end of the list.  And that is not so unusual.  I’ve dropped off the end of lists of students at school, employees at work and bookings for restaurants.  Dropping off pages or lists is something that comes with the territory of having a name that tentatively clings to the very end of the alphabet.  So, having the great honour of being included in this event is very much a first for me.
The location is also an unknown.  Whilst I’m well-travelled in Europe, France in particular, and one or two other more southerly locations, Shetland is new territory.  As one of the many Scottish islands, Shetland is a first.
Geographically it sits on a northing of 60.15 degrees.  That’s a whole 6.41 lines of latitude further north of my home in Yorkshire.  Whilst I have been to Aberdeen and the northeastern coast of Scotland in the past, this adventure will take me closer to the North Pole than I have ever travelled before.  Yet another first.
My usual attire for June is shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops with a cagoule thrown in for sudden downpours and those odd thunderstorms that can ruin the vines in France.  This year, I will be packing jumpers, jeans and walking boots.  That’s a very definite first for June!
My fellow panellists – Merrilee Robson, Jonathan Whitelaw and Dr Jacky Collins are all writers/people I have never met before.  Hmm, when I actually meet up with them, will that count as one composite first or three more individual firsts?
As for the whole event, well, everything happens between June 15th and 18th in Lerwick in the Mareel Arts Centre in the heart of town.  You can buy tickets for any number of events, author panels, workshops, talks, and author interviews throughout the four days.  The event for myself, Jacky, Jonathan and Merrilee is at 11.30 on Sunday June 18th.  We will be chatting and answering questions about all things 'Not quite so Noir'.  Check out the links below.
And if you’re counting firsts on my behalf, it’s either 4 or 7.  I prefer 7!

You can get tickets over the phone on 01595 745500 or online at www.shetlandarts.org

You can check out and download the programme for the whole weekend Here

You can read more about Merrilee, Jonathan and Jacky Here.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! Have a lovely time and keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miriam. At the moment, it feels like I'm four years old again and waiting for christmas!

      Delete