Tuesday 1 October 2019

I'm catching up with Jacques Forêt...

...and Didier Duclos.  I'm meeting them both here in Marseille by the Vieux port

AW  Nice to see you again Jacques, and Didier, great to meet you in person.  So, your new case brings you here to this fabulous city, what do you make of it?
JF   The city?  It reminds me a lot of Paris. The noise, the busy streets.  I've become so accustomed to the quiet of the Cévennes that I don't think I could live in a large city like this again.
AW  So, you don't miss Paris?
JF   Not really. My family are still there.  My sister and brother-in-law and their two boys and my papa, of course.  I was able to catch up with them at Christmas.  It would be nice to spend more time with the family, but the job...you know how it goes.
AW  What about you Didier?  Are you a city man?
DD  Not in the same way as Jacques.  I was born in Badaroux and I still have some family who live there.  Joining the police meant moving to Mende and I still live there.  Cities have some benefits, the nightlife, the restaurants, and the football.
AW  Ah, you like your sport.  And do you have a favourite team, Didier?
DD  Not particularly.  My two sons, when they were boys, both supported the local team in Mende and my eldest son still goes to many of the matches.  I'll accompany him occasionally.  If I'm asked.
AW  Do I detect a bit of a rift in the family there, Didier?
DD  No.  I'm usually included when my grandson is going too.  He's 10 years old, now.  He's growing up and has more important things on his mind these days, than watching a match.
AW  So, Jacques, your current case has brought you both here to Marseille.  Is there anything that you can tell me about that?
JF   We've been engaged by the family of an abductee.  We're here to interview a witness who believes that the person we are seeking is here in Marseille.  I want to be sure it is the person we are looking for.  We've agreed to meet that witness here at the Vieux Port.
AW  I see.  Any chance that I can listen in on your interview?
JF   I think you already know that the answer to that question is, no.  This is a very delicate matter.  The witness doesn't want to be named or to be identified to the police.  And, I don't want us to do anything, or to be seen to be doing anything, that might cause the kidnappers to panic or harm their victim.  We know of other kidnappings in the surrounding départements where the victim has died.  I want to prevent that from happening, if I can.
AW  OK, Jacques.  Got the message loud and clear.  Any news of Beth that you can share with us?
JF  She's as well as can be expected under the current circumstances, but I am worried about her.
AW  Worried?  Can you tell me more?
JF  Another time perhaps.  We need to be in place Didier.
AW  Well thanks guys.  Best of luck with the case.

Well, nothing has changed, he's still as illusive as ever!  Jacques and Didier are heading along the quai Rive Neuve.  Let's hope their witness turns up and that they get the information they need.


You can read more about the city of Marseille hereherehere and here
Marseille, the next Jacques Forêt mystery, is available for pre-order Here

No comments:

Post a Comment