Saturday 16 February 2019

What better time is there...



…than the week that includes Valentine's Day to review Stephanie Cage's latest novella, Paris Proposal?  As I can't think of a better time, that's what I'm doing today!
Published in December 2018, this is a book I've been waiting to read in its entirety ever since I heard the first hint of the idea that has become the whole story.  Set in the heart of Paris, with engaging characters and an exciting storyline, I found I could not put this piece of writing down until I had got to the end.  Yes, I read it at one sitting.
The central character, Holly Gardiner, is whisked off to Paris for New Year's Eve by her boyfriend, Ryan.  Holly is expecting one outcome, a romantic one that involves a ring.  Ryan, on the other hand, delivers something completely different, and Holly finds herself, tearful, alone and a bit drunk in the most romantic city (in my humble opinion) in the world.
In a nightclub, as midnight draws closer, she meets Jean-Luc and his friends, Marc, a lawyer and Pierre, a journalist.  As time moves on Holly becomes more enthralled with Jean-Luc, and then he surprises her.  Holly isn't quite sure how to react.  But midnight has not yet struck.  Jean-Luc is showing little sign of leaving Holly to her own devices and his friends have suddenly and sensitively disappeared into the background.  Is the Frenchman quite what he seems?
I can't answer that question for you but what I can say is that both Holly and Jean-Luc are believable and fully rounded characters.  Holly's distress at the outset of the story, covered by her bravado is cleverly woven through her thoughts words and actions.  Similarly with the charming, caring and sincere Jean-Luc.  But then a hint of danger begins to seep into the mix, and I was left wondering how it would all end.
Using Paris as the backdrop for the story was an ingenious choice.  As I followed Holly and Jean-Luc across the city, I could almost feel the cobbles under my feet and hear the water of the Seine as it lapped around and under the arches of the bridges.  There really is something magical about being in the heart of Paris at night - and if you haven't experienced that yet, then make sure you do soon.  You won't regret it.
A fabulously romantic story, set in a beautiful city that is a favourite of mine, and a plot that keeps you turning the page.  What more could you wish for from a book?

You can find out more about Holly and the book Here and you can get the book on Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Genius! It's hard to review a story like this in a spoiler-free way but you managed spectacularly! Must be the crime writer's skill at knowing exactly what to say and what to leave out. Thank you so much for this lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. It's a great story. I hope it does well for you.

      Delete