Tuesday, 28 July 2026

I'm reviewing The Blood in Winter ...

 ... by Jonathan Healey.  Read on ...

It was another writer's review of this book that captured my attention as I was working my way through my newspaper.  Having now read the book, I'm glad I decided to buy it.  Jonathan Healey is an Associate Professor in social history at Oxford who knows the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries very well.

With a subtitle of A Nation Descends, this excellent book charts the build-up to the English Civil War.  Beginning in late March 1641, we are introduced to Colonel George Goring, a soldier of some repute, who was well known for his camaraderie in the inns of London.  Goring is being cajoled by a friend, a co-conspirator, gambler, and courtier, Sir John Suckling.  Charles Stuart sits on the throne, but his popularity is at a low ebb, and one of the most hated politicians of the time, the Earl of Strafford, is about to go on trial for treason.  Strafford was a favourite of the King.  

Thus, the writer presents the reader with a seemingly convoluted puzzle to consider.  Throughout the rest of the book, Healey uses real people present at the time to tell the story of how England fell into civil war.  The detail from ordinary people's lives at that time is fascinating and varied.  It brings the action to life and offers insight into beliefs and thinking at that time.  I really enjoyed the minor details, and when set against the larger picture of a country on the brink of war, it added to the urgency and impetus for action.

For a history book, the narrative romps along, and the writing is smooth and easily readable.  I found I became drawn into the lives of the people who form the backbone of the events leading up to conflict.  This makes the book look and feel like a novel rather than a dry history.  Not that I've ever considered history to be dry and boring, but I am aware that promoting a book about a piece of English history and calling it that is enough to turn some readers away.  To those readers, I say, 'Don't look away.'  This is a fascinating read about a very important part of our history and well worth the time taken to discover its contents for yourselves.

If you enjoyed this post, you might also be interested in my thoughts on The Lost King of France,  The Paris Muse,or,  F is for France



No comments:

Post a Comment