Tuesday 13 February 2024

I'm reviewing A Supernatural Shindig ...

 ... an anthology of stories all created by Gianetta Murray.  Read on to find out what I thought ... 

A Supernatural Shindig is a collection of short stories all crafted by Gianetta Murray, a writer I have not encountered before.
As a reader and a writer, I love short stories.  A short story can perfectly fill the gap when you only have ten or twenty minutes to spare.  After all, when you’re waiting in a dental or medical surgery for your turn, a ripping read can take your mind off whatever might be your impending doom.  It also means you don’t have to talk to anyone else.  I so love that anti-social aspect of books!
As a writer, I really enjoy the stricture of creating a story in a fixed amount of words.  It means I can play with language because I have to make every word count.  I can also play with plot lines that I know just won’t make it into a novel.  And I can take liberties with characters I’m certain will never appear on the page in any other form.  Short stories provide so much room for the imagination and ideas that simply won’t fit anywhere else.
I’m very pleased to be able to say that Ms Murray appears to be having as much fun writing short stories as I do.  Every single one of the tales in this book is a little masterpiece all of its own.  We have ghosts and vampires, ghouls and zombies all wrapped up with a sharpness of wit that had me chuckling my way through the pages until the very last one.  So, I suppose it is quite fitting that this review is appearing for the first time today – the thirteenth!  A number that is generally regarded as suspicious.
There are fifteen little tales in this volume, and I’m confident that they will appeal to all readers, no matter what each reader’s usual and preferred genre of fiction.  Each story is unique in its setting, characters, and plot line.  They are cleverly put together, and the flow of the stories, from gentle wit to darker tales at the end, provides a logical progression through the book as a whole.  I can thoroughly recommend this selection of stories.
I understand this writer also has a novel that will be published later this year.  I will be looking out for that.  I hope she goes on to write yet more short stories, too.

You can follow Gianetta on her Website on Facebook and on Instagram 
You can get her book on Amazon

I am also very pleased to tell you that Gianetta has agreed to an author interview which you will be able to read next month.  Watch this space!

3 comments:

  1. Invited to look around this blog, and I end up buying this book. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog. I hope you enjoy Gianetta's stories. I most certainly did.

      Delete
  2. You're welcome and thanks for visiting the blog today.

    ReplyDelete