Friday 31 December 2021

Published today...

 DARK PARIS...

I am very pleased to announce that the anthology, DARK PARIS, is published today.  This is the 4th book in the DARK series of anthologies published by Darkstroke Books.  Proceeds from all the books in this series go to various charities.

My story in this collection is very different from my usual style.  It was inspired by a pair of ravens.  I was camped in a small town in Nievre and the campsite was between a river and a canal.  From my pitch I could look out over the river to the opposite bank which had a narrow track and lots of trees.  On my first morning there I was awoken by the harsh stabbing calls of the ravens.  Later that morning I watched as they scavanged together amongst the fallen leaves and debris along the bank of the river.

Over the next week I got to know their routine and in the early evenings I would watch them watching me as they perched on a couple of mooring bollards set at the side of a small jetty.  They seemed to be waiting for the sun to indicate it was time for them to roost.

On the Sunday morning it was the sound of distant shot-guns that disturbed me at around dawn.  I didn't see the ravens at all that day.  In the evening, just before the sun set only one returned.  He, or she settled on the mooring bollard and watched me for a moment or two.  There was a single call from the bird, which was left unanswered before he/she retreated to their usual perch in the canopy overhead.

I left the following day, I had to in order to get back to the port for the ferry.  The sound of the desolation in that creature's final call remained with me.  I knew there was a story there somewhere, I just didn't know what it was until now.

I am very privileged to have a story in this anthology.  There are some wonderful authors who have contriubuted and the foreword is by fellow Darkstroke author, Kate Braithwaite.

You can read about the companion DARK LONDON anthology Here

You can get DARK PARIS Here

No comments:

Post a Comment