Tuesday 26 January 2021

I'm in Mende today to meet...

...Didier Duclos, Jacques' right-hand man at JF Associates.  It's freezing outside with the remains of the snow from the weekend still clinging to the mountain tops and the streets.  We're here in the warmth of the Drap d'Or in place Urbain V…
 
AW  Tell us a little about yourself, Didier.
DD   There's not much to tell.  I was born in the village of Badaroux, which is between here and Messandrierre.  I've lived here all my life.  I joined the Police Nationale when I was twenty-two.  I retired in 2008, and I joined Jacques and his team in 2010.
AW  Oh come on Didier, it's not that simple, is it?  You were a detective, weren't you?
DD  Yes that's right.  I was the equivalent of one of your English detective sergeants.
AW  Any significant cases that you worked on?
DD   I worked on mostly minor crime.  Cases of theft, criminal damage, arson.  I've never worked a murder case until I came to JF Associates.  Of course, Jacques has handled many murder cases, but then he comes from Paris.  It's not surprising.
AW  Ah yes.  Jacques is a great guy.  But what's he really like to work for?
DD  He's a good boss.  He's fair, and he always wants the best.  Sometimes that can be a bit wearing.  He has an excellent eye for detail.  We both do, and I think that is a requirement for all people in the police.  It's those tiny little details that can lead you to a solution for a case.  It's also those details that often give away the criminal.
AW  Interesting.  And when you're not sleuthing, Didier, what do you get up to?
DD   I have a grandson that I see regularly.  We are all football fans, and I sometimes go to a game with them.  I like walking, and hiking and this area is suitable for both of those pursuits.  It also helps to keep me fit, too.  We always follow the Tour de France, and I sometimes take my grandson cycling.  He's a lot faster than me, of course!
AW  Anything else?
DD  I go sailing when I can, and last year I hired a canal boat for August and spent my holiday with my eldest son and his family on the canal du Midi.  It was enjoyable and very leisurely.
AW  A little bird has told me that you have a hankering for a boat of your own.  Care to expand on that?
DD  I see you are well informed.  I have often thought of having a boat, but it's a lot of work and expense.  I do enjoy sailing in the Mediterranean and have spent my holidays hopping from one port to another.  But owning a boat…  I don't think that will ever happen.  I'm content to let someone else pay the mooring fees in winter and cover the cost of careening and the upkeep.
AW  OK Didier.  Anything else you want to share?
DD  I don't think so.
AW Thanks, Didier.
 
Didier and Jacques will be solving more crimes here in Mende and you can read about the next case in #Mercœur which is available for pre-order Here

You can read more about the #Cévennes and #Mercœur Here

1 comment: