Tuesday 3 December 2019

Reflections...


... the end of the year is approaching and I often find myself thinking back...


This year has been a very busy one. There has been the publication of the fourth book in my Jacques Forêt mystery series. Released on October 15th, it has already received some fabulous reviews and it marks the end of this particular set of stories. Way back in September 2007, as I watched the snow falling from the warm comfort of my favourite little place in the Cévennes, I knew there was a story to be told. The more I thought about it during the course of that day and the ensuing week, I realised that there were going to be four stories... and, the rest is history! But that not is the end of Jacques and the villagers of Messandrierre. There are some more stories, I'm just not able to write them quite yet.

There has also been the publication of a second anthology of stories that include the character Miss Moonshine. I'd had the bones of my story in my head for over 6 months before we all started to put together the second anthology. I also knew that there was something missing from the story too. May, a trip to France and a happenstance... As I was cycling along the path that skirts the river Yonne from Vincelles to Auxerre I happened upon a large house. From an unshuttered window, I could see curtains and a shaft of sunlight on the glass as the clouds cleared momentarily. A snippet of conversation came into my mind and my planned story suddenly took an unexpected turn and became 'A Raven's Gift'. Not quite the original title I had had in mind.

Through talks, visits to libraries and community centres, craft, harvest, and Christmas fayres, I've had numerous opportunities to talk to readers and to meet other people. It's amazing what you can learn from others. Just recently, on a very cold and frosty Saturday morning at a market in Kirkstall Abbey, I was chatting to a Texan - about the weather, of course, we English are obsessed with it - who pointed out that there are only two seasons
each year in Texas; January and Summer! I must also mention the fabulous welcome I received from the community in Parisot (Tarn et Garonne) in September who listened
appreciatively, joined in my writing exercise and shared their experiences of France with me.  It was great to meet everyone and make new friends.   Naturally, whilst in the area, I had to indulge my sweet tooth and take a short trip to the market in Villefranche-de-Rouergue to find the nougat seller.  Yes, he was still there and I bought a chunk of the forest berries nougat.  Absolutely scrumptious!

I suppose a review of the year wouldn't be complete without some statistics. This blog was born on August 11th, 2015. This post is the 249th. Since beginning in 2015, I've had 4 books published, stories included in two anthologies, two other stories included on the Facebook page for the UK Crime Book Club, and a third one coming up very soon. I've surpassed my Goodreads reading challenge for the year already and still have another couple of books to add along with reviews. Just recently, I've been reviewing and picking up the threads of an old-about-to-become a new project... but more of that in the New Year.

It really has been quite a year...




No comments:

Post a Comment