Tuesday 2 April 2019

I'm reviewing A Walk Through Paris...

 ...by Eric Hazan...

A Parisian by birth, Eric Hazan has lived in the city all his life.  He is the founder of the publishing house, La Fabrique, and is the author of several books about Paris, France and its history.  He has also worked as a surgeon and is well known for his opinions  on Parisian society.  When I happened upon this little tome in a bookshop whilst visiting a nearby town in North Yorkshire, I just could not let it remain there unread.  It came home with me and I am very glad that it did.

Beginning at a bookshop - a most suitable place to start in my opinion - he charts his trail across the city from south to north.  Of course, were I to be in Paris now, my route would be significantly delayed whilst I browsed through the shelves of books.  I have probably spent half my life in bookshops already!  This particular bookshop in Ivry is one I have yet to visit.  It sits on rue Gabriel Péri and the opening hours are somewhat flexible.

As Hazan meanders through the streets and squares he shares with you little pieces of history about his surroundings.  He makes comments on the buildings, the architecture and, in some instances, even provides you with a potted history relating to how and why a specific building is there.  His wit shines through in his anecdotes and asides as he guides you across the city, and that's not always in a straight line either.  There are plenty of little detours and side streets to explore.

City guides and green guides are all well and good and very informative, but they only ever take you to where every other tourist goes.  This book takes you to the Parisians' city, to the places that only someone who has spent a lifetime in Paris would know.  A brilliant little book with a gently flowing narrative voice and it will be coming with me when I next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment