Tuesday 13 August 2024

I’m Off My Beaten Track …


… in Lisbon today.  Come and join me as I explore a location that I used as setting in my story Alice in the most recently published Summer Paths anthology ….

 
Lisbon is the capital city of Portugal.  It is also the largest in the country, with a population of just under 3 million within its metropolis.  It sits on the Atlantic coast of the country where the river Tagus flows into the sea.
The city is also one of the oldest in Europe, pre-dating many of the frequently visited capitals in other European countries.  Portugal was settled originally by pre-Celtic tribes and later discovered and civilised by the Phoenicians.  Julius Caesar came to the city, but after the fall of Rome, Lisbon was invaded by Germanic Tribes, in particular the Visigoths, from as early as the fifth century.  In the 8th century, the city was captured by the Moors and then taken by Afonso Henriques – the first King of Portugal - and in 1255, it became the capital city and has remained so.  There’s some serious history here, and I’m certain I will be back in the future for a much longer stay.
But today, I’m on a special mission.  Whilst I’ve been travelling I’ve been drafting a short story.  I’ve got one of the final scenes to complete, but I need a location, and I think Lisbon is going to be the place.  As I meander up the hill to the church, I get some breathtaking views of the river and the rooftops of the city.  The old streets are narrow, and everywhere I go, there are blocks of tiles creating pictures on the walls.  The tram system seems to be as ancient as some of the buildings.  The design is reminiscent of vehicles from the turn of the 19th century.  Dashing in between the trams and cars are some three-wheeled taxis that look as though they have been left over from the 1950s.  Whatever the true age of these odd little taxis, they bring a certain charm to the city.  I get some pictures and wonder if I might have Alice taking a ride in one of them.
The trams all have names here!
Right in the centre, I come across Praça Dom Pedro IV.  A large square with fountains and a statue on a massive pedestal,  flower sellers and a pattern of wavy tiles that makes my eyes dance as I walk.  It feels as though the pavement beneath my feet is moving.  As I wandered around the throngs of tourists, I realised that it would be here that Alice would meet the one person who could answer all her questions about the mysterious disappearance of a fellow traveller.  It was also whilst I was here that the final piece of the mental puzzle I was creating in my head fitted in place
My decision about the setting made me realise that I needed to make my way back to the docks and my very modern form of transport.  I take the main road from the square, and as I wander by shops and restaurants, I eventually come to a large arch that opens onto another vast square.  I definitely will come back here.
 
If you want to read the latest Alice Mystery along with a selection of other short stories, then you can print copies of Summer Paths Here and the e-book will be published very soon.  Keep watching this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment