Tuesday 11 October 2022

I'm reviewing The Betrayal of Anne Frank...

... by Rosemary Sullivan

I picked up this book because I wanted it to sit with my other books about Anne, her diary, and the revised version of her diary.  To me, this young girl and her family, those they were in hiding with and those that helped and supported them, lived through some of the worst times in our recent history.
I was sceptical, at first, about how reliable or complete any information might be after eighty years and by the time I had got to the end of the book, I realised I was right to be so.
The team searching for the answer to the question the book poses were multi-skilled, multi-national and absolutely meticulous in undertaking their research.  That much is clear from the documents and archives accessed and referenced in the lengthy text.  But does the book answer the actual question on the cover? By the time I’d got to the end, I had to conclude that it only did so in part.
I believe it was Conan Doyle who gave to his most famous character, Sherlock Holmes, the tenet that ‘when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.’  The team working on this issue did look at everyone who might be the possible betrayer and, through research and evidence gathering from records, books, archives etc, eliminated them.  What remained then was not the truth, in my view, because the evidence did not support it. What remained was a conclusion that was based on a fair amount of supposition.
As I sit here and write this review, I’m in the shade of a substantial tree in one of my favourite places to visit in France.  I’m also accompanied by some of my friends from Holland, so I’ve had the chance to question their thoughts on the book, too.  It is interesting to note that in Holland, Anne and those who surrounded her are as well known there as they are in the UK.  It is also interesting to note that this book was withdrawn from sale in Holland because of a backlash of public opinion.
As an exposé of what life under the occupation was like in Holland, it is a fascinating examination of the documentary history, made even more interesting when it is set against the background of Holland’s neutrality at the outbreak of war.  The prose is beautifully written and reads more like a novel than an essay examining a particular piece of history.  On those points alone, I have to say that the book is to be recommended.
But does it answer the prime question?  In my view, not really.  Will we ever know the real answer to this question?  Very probably not.  Are we entitled to know the answer to this question?  This is a hard one to answer, but for me, I think that there are some things that are perhaps best left alone.  Whoever betrayed Anne and the others must have had a reason for doing so, but would you like to discover that it was your father or grandfather who did that?  Or someone else connected with your family or one of your ancestors?  I think there are times when sleeping dogs should be left to rest, and perhaps this was one of those very rare instances.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this fascinating review and in particular the question at the end. Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete