Tuesday 18 May 2021

I'm cycling the Canal du Bourgogne...

...today.  specifically, the stretch of canal between lock 67 and lock 64 at Montbard and then some...

This is a combined vehicle and bike trip today.  The car from Lézinnes and then the bike from somewhere near St Rémy - it depends on finding a shady spot where I can park.  It's a short trip by road from the campsite along the D905.  This part of the canal can be done at more or less any time of day as the tow path is mostly in permanent shade.  It's a nice change to be out on the bike without and fear of getting my face burnt by the sun… again! 
St Rémy, is in the departement Cote d'Or (21), meaning Gold Coast.  This is the heart of the wine growing area and some of the most prestigious Burgundys are made from vines grown in this département.  St Rémy is a small village of around 700 inhabitants, stretching up the valley of the Brenne from the canal and the river that flow beside each other.  From here I'm heading first to Montbard. 
Montbard is about 5Ks away along the canal.  That's enough to begin with and I know a good  pâtisserie just as you get into town by the lock.  So I will be having lunch at the small marina which is a short walk from the shop.  The tartes abricot are to die for! 
The town is dominated by a large church that sits on a hill overlooking the town.  You can see it from miles around.  I take a steady stroll across the second bridge into town.  The sun's heat is becoming quite fierce so I chain the bike to the nearest bike rests and cross to the shady side of the narrow street.  It's a climb and there's hardly anyone around.  At Place Hôtel de Ville - a quite magnificant building that seems to glisten in the sunshine - there are some steps (rue Piron) opposite leading up to the top of the hill.  This links with rue Daubenton and I follow that on my left and to the end.  On my right is a small tree-lined alley (Allee Clemenceau) which climbs yet again.  I explore and it's worth it, there is a magnificent view of the valley, the canal and the town.  Unfortunately, the sun is so strong that all colour is bleached from the landscape.  Photos will have to wait for another day.
When I turn to leave I realise that behind me is some sort of park and in the centre of that is  a substantial war memorial that was commissioned and inaurgurated in 1921.  It commemorates the bravery of all the local citizens who gave they lives from the Franco-Prussian war right up to date.  It brings a noticable silence to the park.
At one side of the park is a small church dedicated to Sainte Urse.  The original place of worship in this location was part of the fort that was first built some time in the 10th century.  Ownership of the fort passed through various different hands over the centuries - one partiuclar owner being André de Montbard who was one of the 9 founders of the Order of the Temple or a Knight Templar.  The only vestiges of the château are some of the ramparts and Tour Aubespin.  Well worth a look.
As I meander down the hill and back to the bike I wonder if I will be lucky enough to find any of the apricot pastries left.  It's almost closing time so I pick up my pace a little.  I'm not dissappointed! 
Lunch finished and my backpack all repacked, I head back down the canal.  This is good because it means the canal is falling and so there are hardly any rises to the locks, just nice long free wheels down to the next level…


You can find my earlier trips along the canal Here Here and Here There will be more about the canal on June 8th

No comments:

Post a Comment