Tuesday 9 February 2021

Just wanted to say...

… to the doctors, nurses and staff on the Day Surgery Unit at Bassetlaw hospital… 

Thank You

Very recently, I had to undergo surgery to remove a lump from my right hand.  'So?' you might be asking yourself.  Hmm, it doesn't seem such a big deal when you take into account that I'm a natural-born South Paw - left-hander.  A South Paw to such an extent that the world has always seemed to me to be back-to-front.  Add into the mix the fact that I'm a complete wimp when it comes to blood and guts (I have to look the other way every time I have a blood sample taken).  Perhaps you may be able to appreciate my dilemma last Thursday as I sat in a Day Ward waiting for the inevitable to happen.
My little corner of the ward was Bay 1.  That meant I was closest to the exit - an open and waiting escape route if my fears got the better of me.  There were moments when the opportunity to escape seemed to be challenging me.  And, yes the possibility of just getting up and walking out did cross my mind.
However, common sense prevailed in the end.  When I was taken to the theatre I was allowed to plug myself into my iPod and some Chris Rhea.  Eyes closed so that I couldn't see the white wall, the static clock and the strange medical machine on my left, and I handed my conscious mind over to the safe haven of my imagination whilst the doctor and his assistants carried out their work. As the music played in my ears, I let my mind wander through the Cévennes with its stunning scenery on an azure bright summer's day.  Then I was travelling the Corniche and powering through the hairpins on the D986 down to Valleraugue.
A little later, when the surgeon recalled my attention to the place I really was, I was strolling along the rugged coast of the island of Sicily.  He wanted to let me know the procedure was 'all done'.  'Just a dressing to put on,' he said.  I took the opportunity to slip back to Sicily for a few moments longer.
I have no doubt that I was the patient from hell last Thursday.  But the very kind and supportive attention I received from everyone on the ward enabled me to get through an experience I had been dreading.  Next hurdle, the stitches coming out… and I'm just not thinking about that until I absolutely have to!!

Thank you, NHS

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, this post has been an exclusive South Paw production!

No comments:

Post a Comment