Tuesday 16 June 2020

I'm cycling the Canal du Nivernais...

...from lock 63 to 67...

I'm heading up to Mailly-le-Château today and taking the bike with me.  I have a very important mission to complete, and it involves cake!  The route along the canal from my campsite in Châtel-Censoir to Mailly is the D100.  Take the road at a bit of a meandering pace as there is a little piece of history here.  At the roadside is a small stone surrounded by some chains with a small vase of flowers in front.  It's in recognition of Capitaine Émile Laureillard, born in 1913 who became a professional soldier and was stationed in Auxerre.  In 1940 he was captured and imprisoned until 1942 when he was released.  On his return to Yonne, he joined the resistance and in May 1944, became head of the chief of staff for the 2nd Forces françaises de l'intérieur (FFI).
On August 2nd, while leading a small group on a sabotage mission to Tonnerre, the truck the group were travelling in was attacked.  Laureillard was injured as he tried to make his escape but was captured and imprisoned in Auxerre later that day.  On August 15th, he was taken to Merry-sur-Yonne, executed and his body was thrown from the top of Rocher Saussois.  His body was discovered two days later by the Mayor of Merry.  This little stone, along with his name on a monument beside the D91 near Chablis, are all that remain.
Maiily is in two halves, the imposing clifftop town and château, and the cluster of houses that sit at the foot of the rocky outcrop.  I'm driving up to the ville haute just because I can, and the best place to park is in front of the château.  There's a fabulous view from there across the valley.  With the house behind you walk along rue de château and take first left in Jeu Paume and you'll find a tiny bakers shop on the left about halfway along.  Today there's Quiche Lorraine on offer, and I can't resist.  I also purchase a piece of Tarte Normande - absolutely scrumptious.  With my lunch secured in my little rucksack, it's a short walk back to the car, and a drive down the hill where I can park.
The canal path from here is tarmac and in good condition. The scenery moves between wooded areas and fields, and there are plenty of opportunities to see herons, swans, coots and barges - mostly tourists - as they meander along the canal and river.  There are also plenty of spots to stop for lunch.
I'm heading about 6 kilometres up the canal today to Prégilbert, a small village of fewer than 200 people.  I'll be clocking up another 5 locks (63 - 67 inclusive).  Although I'm not doing it
today, if you continue on the canal path beyond Prégilbert, you will come to St. Pallaye. 
Fellow travellers!
Another tiny place but with Roman connections.  You'll find a Roman sarcophagus in the church crypt.
I covered the section of canal from Prégilbert to Vincelles a couple of years ago, and the part from Châtel-Censoir south to the next basin at Coulanges two years before that.  So that means that I can now claim that I have cycled the Canal du Nivernais from Auxerre to Coulanges - that's from lock 52 to 81.  OK, It may have taken me some time, but I think that's awesome!


You can read more about my journey along the waterways Here and Here

No comments:

Post a Comment