Sunday 24 May 2020

Coming soon...

... DARK LONDON...



Over the last few months, my publisher has been busily putting together an anthology of short stories all set in the vast metropolis that is London.  At first I was ambivalent about the prospect.  At the time I had a new book that needed to be publicised and I also had a new project that had been patiently awaiting my attention for over two years.
At the turn of the year - Marseille was selling well, I had a grip on my new project - in a moment alone I found myself thinking about the anthology and wondering whether I could offer anything that might be of use.
As a city, London has so many connections for me, stretching back over the centuries.  Across a number of generations my ancestors were born, lived and worked in the city.  Much more recently, it is a place where I've worked, lived, visited and passed through many times on my way to other locations.  I studied there for a while and I have often thought of the times we, as a family, visited relatives when I was a child.
I suppose it's not surprising that my own family history and the accompanying social history research that I had done over a number of years was the inspiration for my story, 'Treading', which appears in volume two of the anthology.
Both volumes are now available to pre-order on Amazon and the first book will be released on June 25th with the second following one week later on July 2nd.

Discover London's dark side in a new collection of short stories written by award-winning and international best-selling authors...  


about book one… Darkness lurks beneath London’s glittering surface…

Let us take you from Golders Green, in a tale of redemption, to Hope’s End, the final stop on a rambling Tube ride.  Then head to Jack the Ripper’s Whitechapel where you learn of an unforeseen murder – and not only one, as women fall prey to the most brutal crimes!  Onwards, we head to the shores of the River Thames, where a young girl fears a sea monster and always carries a knife.  Then you visit a pub where the owner is losing the plot.  A Tube ride with an unexpected twist leads to a vision from the past.  Then we introduce you to a ghost who stalks her friends.  Lastly, discover the splendour of Westminster Palace, but is it a safe place for a woman with her sights on the English throne?

You can get the book Here




about book two… London’s ancient lanes hide a dark world…

Enter the London docklands at your peril, then head straight for the N8 bus, where we learn of a gruesome discovery.  Meet Beth, the female private investigator who clinches a case she can’t refuse; followed by a tale of murder from the 1950s that was – officially – never solved…
We take you to higher realms in a search for a missing woman, before a morning spent mudlarking reveals a mysterious link to the past.  London’s dystopian side is uncovered in an explosive tale; and then you return to Whitechapel where you meet not just one, but two unsavoury gentlemen.  Lastly, arrive in perfect time at a grand illusion, with disastrous consequences.

You can get the book Here

All proceeds from both volumes will go to London charities


You can read more about the history behind and the inspiration for my story Here



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about these two books Angela, which I am about to pre-order. I could have contributed because my book includes a chase scene in an underground tunnel beneath a hospital.take care love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for visiting the blog. I hope you enjoy the stories and keep checking the Darkstroke FB page and the website as that's where they post info about submissions.

    ReplyDelete